Sunday, March 9, 2014

Beijing: Subway, Yuanmingyuan and Nanjing Impressions

These images are ones that I took on the way to Yuanmingyuan for the festival and then later to Nanjing Impressions for dinner. I often used my compact camera while going from place to place because it is small enough to fit in my coat pocket and does a really nice job. I used it a lot in Istanbul as well when my Leica M8 got wet and quit on me, so I am pretty confident with its output.

I also mostly use it for black and white, even though it does a great job in color as well, because I like to have the variety and I love black and white images. I often spend much more time editing black and white than I do color because black and white is more interesting tonally. I like to have a good mix of not only greys but some good blacks and whites in the image as well.  I also like that you can use a subtle vignette to draw the eye or reduce distractions.

Bicycles were a very popular mode of transportation, and I saw them everywhere. This doorway was on the way to the subway station, so I looked in on several past trips, but finally decided to take a picture this time.











It was very nice of this man and his daughter to pose for me. I didn't even have to ask!

When I emerged from the subway in downtown Beijing, it was breathtaking! Huge buildings and elevated walkways!








This is the entrance to Nanjing Impressions. It was closed even though the door was opened and I had to wait for them to reopen for dinner, so it was the good thing that there was a mall to explore around it.

Is that the Monkey King I see?

YES! It is the Monkey King!





No comments:

Post a Comment