Saturday, March 22, 2014

Beijing: Sometimes, I make mistakes

I hate when I do dumb things; it really brings my average down!

In this case I bought some color film from the Film Photography Project just to shoot in Beijing. It is Kodak Hawkeye traffic surveillance film and it is known for it's great color.  I was shooting it on a Leica M3, which is a rangefinder camera that is a few years older than I am and it does not have a built in light meter. No worries, I have a handheld meter (or two) and I know how to use the sunny 16 rule to estimate the exposure, so no problem, right? except that there is not a window on the back and for some reason I thought I had a film with a different speed in it (I loaded it the night before for another purpose and then changed my mind and took another camera instead) so I shoot the entire roll at the wrong speed. It was badly overexposed and there was not that much in the way of usable images on the roll (only 6 of the 24 were salvageable at all). Still, I could have no shared them at all or lied and said I had a cool new Instagram filter, but I figure best to just own up to it and confess my failing: sometimes, I make mistakes. When I do, I do my best to make something good come out of it. Art should follow life (or the other way 'round).

Anyway, here are the six:







No comments:

Post a Comment