Monday, July 5, 2010

Two Great Camera Stores






I went by Peace Camera last Friday (because we got out early) to have one of their guys, Steve(who used to own a repair shop in Cameron Village and knows tons about cameras, lenses and what could be going wrong with them) to have a look at my Leica 90mm Elmar because there was some cloudiness int he lens. I thought maybe It could be cleaned, but it was the dreaded separation (DUH DUH DUHHHHHHHHH!)and there was not much to do about it. I looked at a more modern 90 Elmar (M mount for the CLE, mine was an older screw-mount) and took some pictures with theirs on my Leica M8 to look at when I got home. I shot it wide open, and clearly my critical focusing skills were not up to the task, but I thought I would share them anyway, mainly because I wanted to share about Peace Camera and another great camera store inthe Raleigh area as well.

Peace Camera is one the two great camera stores in Raleigh, the other being Southeastern Camera. The thing that makes them great is that the people who work there are knowledgeable, are photographers and not just salespeople, and they will tell you the truth. They speak from their experience and not what they have to sell this week. They have people who shoot in studios, use view cameras, shoot video, use Photoshop regularly, make prints in a wet darkroom, know the latest in digital technology. They have been there and done it, and are willing to share that expertise with you. If you buy something from them, they will take care of you after the sale. I try spend as money as I can with both stores, so that years from now they will bothnstill be here (and also I like to get my stuff now-ish, if at all possible!) In fact, I bought almost all my gear at one or the other store,the exceptions being if it was something they were sold out or were not a dealer for, and I always go check out what they have before I buy somewhere else. I love that they cater not just to the pros and talented amateurs, but also those who aspire to become either one of the two! If you own a camera, live within driving distance, and have not been to these two stores, then you are missing out!

DISCLAIMER:
I used to work at Southeastern Camera when they were in the location that Peace Camera is in today. At the time, it was one store, and it was the best place in the world to shop, to hang out, and later to work. I have much love for Tony and Todd (the two owners) and all the guys I worked with when I was there. I learned most of what I know about photography by being around them as a customer and later as a friend. I have never heard anyone in there lie to a customer, upsell a customer, or give them bad advice. I bought my Leica M8, D-Lux4, and a lot of my lenses, flashes and gear from Southeastern and Peace. So I voted with my own money as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment