Saturday, July 31, 2010

Depth of Field Study




I had the occasion to be explaining to the gentleman who sits next to me at work about depth of field. When I updraged to the Leica D-Lux4, I gave him my Olympus Stylus, because he had just had a child, and I was not going to need it anymore. He had some questions about how to get an object entirely in focus in order to post images of it on the web. So I pulled out my trust D-Lux4 and took three picture of hand sanitizer bottles set in a row. The first has a narrow depth of field (aperture was around F2). The second was taken at around F8 for a deeper depth of field. The third back at F2, but from further away (so the distance from the front bottle to the back bottle was smaller relative to the distance from the front bottle to the lens). then I showed him the 3 images and Viola! He knew at least 2 ways to increase the depth of field (and also it was nice break in the day!)

No comments:

Post a Comment