Saturday, January 7, 2012

The snare drum renewal project! (Part 1)

I decided it was time to complete my long delayed snare drum renewal/upgrade project. I had planned for a while to replace the worn out head with a new Fiberskyn head and wider snares. The Fiberskyn heads are the syntheric replacement for the old calf skin heads that were common decades ago and popular because of their warm sound (note: no cows were harmed: SYNTHETIC!) and the wider snares (wires) give a fuller sound.

So I removed the old head, but before I put on the new head I cleaned the wooden shell and the metal rim. I put on the new head and tightened it finger tight (to get even tension) before I used the drum key to tune it up.

Looking good topside! next up: the bottomside!














No comments:

Post a Comment